You can insert an AutoCAD drawing into a Visio diagram and then place shapes on top of it to make it clearer. In general, see how you can import: Click Import> CAD Drawing. Then select the AutoCAD file, specify the scale and level options and the drawing will appear on the page. If you need more information along the way, this article explains every step of the way.
Supported versions of AutoCAD
If you are a subscriber to Visio Program 2, you can import a file. dwg or. DXF from AutoCAD 2007 to 2017. If you are not a subscriber, be sure to save the file as an AutoCAD 2007 .dwg or .dfx file before importing.
Preparing to import AutoCAD
If you want to work on the same scale as your AutoCAD file, we recommend that you first prepare for AutoCAD import. Then return to this page and continue the import process.
Introduce AutoCAD drawing
- On the Insert tab, click CAD Drawing.
- Locate the .dwg or .dxf file, and then click Open. The CAD Design Properties dialogue box will appear.
- If you want to work on the same scale as the AutoCAD file, set the CAD Drawing Scale to match the viewing angle scale in AutoCAD.
- Note: If you calculated a custom page scale when preparing to import, do not specify this scale here. Use the custom page scale only in the page layout and not when importing. See Preparing to Import AutoCAD for more information.
- See the page preview on the right. The grey box is where the AutoCAD design will take up space. The white box is the page. If it has this format, you are in good condition:
If the AutoCAD drawing extends beyond the page, this means that the drawing will be larger than the diagram page. In this case, do one of the following:
- Verify the optical scale in AutoCAD and make sure it is the same as the scale specified here.
- Verify the optical scale in AutoCAD and make sure it is specified in the page layout before importing the file. See Preparing to Import AutoCAD for more information.
- If you calculated a custom page scale when preparing to import, make sure it is specified in the Page Setup section before importing the file. See Preparing to Import AutoCAD for more information.
- If the Visio page scale is what you want and you want the AutoCAD file to be customized, click Custom Scale. Change the AutoCAD drawing scale to fit the page. If you are unsure of how the result will look, click Apply before you click OK. This will update the preview image before importing the file.
- You can also accept the extended AutoCAD design by clicking OK. Then later, you can trim the AutoCAD drawing.
- If necessary, click the Level tab and change the layer properties. Then click OK to enter the design. You can always unlock the drawing and change the AutoCAD level properties later if you want.
Does nothing seem to be happening after the introduction? Zoom out and you can see the whole design more easily. If it is too big or too small to work with, it is recommended that you prepare for admission first.