Oracle Primavera P6 is a project, program and portfolio management tool that you can use to plan, manage and execute your project work. It is designed for large and small projects in various industries such as construction, manufacturing, energy and IT. This has been done in projects around the world for more than 30 years.
Primavera P6 can trace its origins back to 1983 when it was first founded under the name Primavera Systems. It would quickly gain popularity over the next 15 years. In the late 1990s, the advancement in server technology led the company to split Primavera systems into two versions of the software: a desktop application (preferred by contractors, suppliers, and manufacturing companies) and a web-based enterprise option.
In 2008, Primavera Systems was bought by Oracle, which then developed the tool into the version used today.
The modern incarnation sells itself as a tool for increasing your planning efficiency, reducing the risk of over-scheduling. One way to do this is to provide visibility into the work so that potential bottlenecks can be identified and resolved before they cause delays. It claims to work on projects of all sizes.
Who uses Primavera P6?
P6 is used by project managers who are responsible for delivering a project, program, or portfolio of projects.
It is not only used by project managers, however. Every project professional can benefit from P6, e.g. B. Engineers, planners and others who are instrumental in planning, managing and reporting the project. It is usually recommended that anyone using the software take a training course. The tool was developed to manage complex projects. Hence, it can be complicated to use.
Main features of the Primavera software
Let’s take a look at some of the key features of Primavera Software, as explained below.
- Planning: To ensure that the schedule is properly filled in, Primavera P6 includes a number of planning alarms and reporting tools to help keep the project on schedule and within budget.
- Risk and opportunity management: Project managers can easily see when risks may arise and what impact those risks have on the baseline and schedule of the project. The initial and recurring risk is carried out by the project managers and the opportunity analysis is done within the schedule.
- Resource management: The resource consumption can be precisely monitored by the project managers in Primavera P6 and forecasts of changes in resource availability can be made. In order to keep the project up to date, the project managers determine which other resources can be redirected in Primavera P6. ERPM users can use the visualization tool to convert raw data into easy-to-understand and shareable graphics.
- Contract management: The organization can use Primavera to keep control of multiple projects or programs. Project managers can copy information from the Oracle database in seconds when a new project comes very close to a previous one. Join Burraq Engineering Solutions to get physical and Online Training in Primavera Training Courses.
Advantages of the Primavera software
The main advantages of Primavera software are:
Helps Minimize Risks: Project costs go up if your schedule has inconsistencies, overflow issues, or errors. To compensate for the extra costs, you need to remove more important parts of the project. Primavera helps manage, complete and plan a project to identify and mitigate risks.
Ease of use: Despite the many complex analyzes and processes that Primavera offers, access to and management of the project plan remains simple. The software simply determines if there is a problem once you’ve entered the information.
Extended resources: All available resources involved in a project are carefully monitored by Primavera and adapted to the requirements of the project. It also helps in reducing resource costs by analyzing resource trends and costs.
Improved Visibility: The top priority for project managers and business executives is visibility and compliance with environmental and political regulations. You can ensure possible violations of your project in advance, as the Primavera enables the collection, tracking and analysis of all data in one place.
Project Activity Prediction: Primavera Software can be used to forecast resources, activities, and other project requirements, as a project may require activities, resources, and tasks as the project progresses to meet stakeholder needs.
Tracking Capabilities: By ensuring the entire project is complete and adhering to the baseline, Primavera’s tracking capability enables users to generate reports quickly.
Improved communication: Primavera helps improve communication between executives and other employees. Project managers and planners call for large geographic areas, hundreds of employees, and other stakeholders. To ensure that all users are viewing the message, notes can be entered into the schedule in the software.
Improved collaboration: When projects become large, better communication can easily lead to better collaboration, as communication is already improved throughout the project.
The responsibility rests with the employees in the creation of the schedule: By enabling user access to the schedule, Primavera makes planning and scheduling easier. In addition, employees can create their schedules in the software from their location. They can also submit timesheets, perform other planning functions, and make planning inquiries.
Dissolve Complex Projects: With Primavera, project managers can break down large projects into smaller, simpler projects, activities, and tasks, as the project size can be large and overwhelming.
SKILLS TO LEARN
- You learn to create a new project in Primavera P6.
- You learn to manage the programs and projects effectively.
- You learn to create activities.
- You will learn to indicate the critical path.
- You will learn to maintain and assign the project base.
- You will learn to export and print a project schedule.
- You learn to set up a PSP
- You learn to link activities.
- You will learn to create and allocate resources and expenses.
- You learn to follow the progress of the project.
The central theses
- The most powerful, important and useful project management tool currently available on the market is Oracle Primavera P6.
- The members and staff of the project management team understand the needs and activities of your project using Primavera tools and features.
- By recognizing early warning signs, Primavera helps project managers identify and mitigate risks throughout the project.
- To get the most out of your investment, a Primavera foundation course is one of the best options.